THE LUBLIN ADMINISTRATION
A skeleton administration of the Polish Committee of National Liberation (Polski Komitet Wyzwolenia Narodowego, PKWN) in Augustów and Suwałki districts, including local posts of security offices, was established when the area was taken over by the Soviet forces in summer 1944.
The District Office of Public Security (Powiatowy Urząd Bezpieczeństwa Publicznego, PUBP) in Augustów became operational as soon as its first head, Czesław Janucik, was appointed. It was initially based in the village of Sztabin, where the District Office (Starostwo Powiatowe) and the District Headquarters of the Citizens’ Militia (Komenda Powiatowa MO) were being formed. The PUBP was moved to Krasnobór and, from there, to Augustów (some time after 25 January 1945). From 20 March 1945, it was headed by Chorąży (rank senior to Warrant Officer) Aleksander Kuczyński, with Ryszard Caban as his deputy.
The first head of the PUBP in Suwałki was Private Antoni Kalinowski (14 September 1944). The office was initially based in Sejny and later moved to Suwałki (27 October). On 20 May 1945, Private Kalinowski was replaced by Senior Sergeant Zygmunt Mossakowski.